ETYM Latin caerimonialis: cf. French cérimonial. Related to Ceremony.
Marked by pomp or ceremony or formality; SYN. solemn.
1. Dignified and somber in manner or character; SYN. sedate, sober, solemn.
2. Of great gravity or crucial import; requiring serious thought; SYN. grievous, heavy, weighty.
Of or characterized by or adhering to ritualism.
ETYM Old Eng. solempne, Old Fren. solempne, Latin solemnis, solennis, sollemnis, sollennis; sollus all, entire + annus a year; properly, that takes place every year; -- used especially of religious solemnities. Related to Silly, Annual.
1. Expressing serious reflections; marked by seriousness; serious; grave; devout.
2. Real; earnest; downright.
3. Stately; ceremonious; grand.
4. Marked with religious rites and pomps; enjoined by, or connected with, religion; sacred.
In a ceremonious manner; SYN. ceremonially.
Ceremoniously, according to the rules of a ritual
By rites, or by a particular rite; according to a rite.
In a grave and sedate manner.