1. To bring to an issue of full success; to effect; to perform; to execute fully; to fulfill
2. To equip or furnish thoroughly; hence, to complete in acquirements; to render accomplished; to polish.
3. To gain; to obtain.
To gain with effort; SYN. accomplish, attain, reach.
1. To move towards; draw closer to; SYN. near, come on, go up, draw near, come near.
2. To come closer metaphorically, as in time; SYN. come near.
3. To make advances to someone, usually with a proposal or suggestion.
1. To achieve or accomplish, that is, to reach by efforts; to gain; to compass.
2. To gain or obtain possession of; to acquire.
3. To get at the knowledge of; to ascertain.
4. To reach or come to, by progression or motion; to arrive at.
5. To reach in excellence or degree; to equal. SYN. To Attain, Obtain, Procure.
6. To overtake.
7. Reach, achieve (a desired goal).
(Irregular preterit, past participle: got; or p.p.: gotten).
1. To acquire as a result of some effort or action.
2. To cause to move; cause to be in a certain position or condition; SYN. let, have.
3. To come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; SYN. acquire.
4. To communicate with a place or person; establish communication with, as if by telephone.
5. To evoke an emotional response.
6. To irritate.
7. To overcome or destroy.
8. To purchase.
9. To reach and board.
10. To reach by calculation.
11. To reach with a blow or hit in a particular spot; SYN. catch.
12. To receive as a retribution or punishment; SYN. receive.
13. To succeed in catching or seizing, esp. after a chase; SYN. catch, capture.
To come into possession of
1. To extend as far as,; SYN. extend to, touch.
2. To arrive at a point in time, or a certain state or level; SYN. hit, attain.
3. To attain a goal, e.g.,; SYN. make, get to, progress to.
4. To attain a destination, either real or abstract; SYN. attain, make, hit, arrive at, gain.
5. To move forward or upward in order to touch; also in a metaphorical sense:; SYN. reach out.
6. To be in communication with, establish communication with; SYN. get through, get hold of, contact.