Alternate (chiefly British) spelling of apologize.
(Alternate spelling: apologise).
1. To acknowledge faults; SYN. apologise.
2. To make excuses for; SYN. apologise, excuse, justify, rationalize.
To clear from alleged fault or guilt; to prove to be guiltless; to relieve of blame; to acquit.
Clear of blame.
1. To make an excuse or make allowances for; be lenient with; SYN. condone.
2. To grant exemption or release to; SYN. relieve, let off, exempt.
3. To serve as an excuse for; SYN. explain.
4. To accept an excuse for; SYN. pardon.
5. To ask for permission to be released from an engagement; SYN. beg off.