ETYM Old Eng. hamelet, Old Fren. hamelet, dim. of hamel, French hameau, Late Lat. hamellum, a dim. of German origin; cf. German heim home. Related to Home.
A community of people smaller than a village; SYN. crossroads.
ETYM Probably originally, an inclosed body of water, and the same word as pound. Related to Pound an inclosure.
A small lake; SYN. pool.
Body of water usually smaller than a lake — sometimes used with the to refer informally or facetiously to the Atlantic Ocean.
1. A small body of standing water (rainwater) or other liquid; SYN. puddle.
2. A hole that is (usually) filled with water.
3. Something resembling a pool of liquid; SYN. puddle.
4. Any of various games played on a pool table having 6 pockets; SYN. pocket billiards.
5. The combined stakes of the betters; SYN. kitty.
6. Any communal combination of funds
7. An organization of people or resources that can be shared