Sinonimi: historic period | historical period | geological period
ETYM Latin periodus, Greek, a going round, a way round, a circumference, a period of time; peri round, about + hodos a way: cf. French période.
1. A stage in the history of a culture having a definable place in space and time; SYN. historic period, historical period.
2. A time of life characterized as a distinct phase.
3. A unit of geological time during which a system of rocks formed; SYN. geological period.
4. One of (usually) three or four sections of play in various sports.
5. The end or completion of something.
6. The interval taken to complete one cycle of a regularly repeating phenomenon.