ETYM French bise cold wind.
To proceed quickly and easily.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: hanged).
(Irregular preterit, past participle: hung).
1. To be exhibited.
2. To be menacing, burdensome, or oppressive.
3. To be placed in position as by a hinge.
4. To be suspended or hanging.
5. To be suspended or poised.
6. To cause to be hanging or suspended; SYN. hang up.
7. To decorate or furnish with something suspended.
8. To fall or flow in a certain way; SYN. fall, flow.
9. To kill by hanging; SYN. string up.
10. To let drop or droop.
11. Said of meat: to be left hanging, in order to acquire a gamey taste.
12. To place in position as by a hinge so as to allow free movement in one direction.
13. To prevent from reaching a verdict, of a jury.
1. To be undecided about something; SYN. vacillate.
2. To hand in the air; fly or be suspended above.
3. To move to and fro; SYN. linger.
ETYM Latin impendere; pref. im- in + pendere to weigh out, pay.
To be imminent or about to happen.
1. To sway to and fro; SYN. weave.
2. Pause or hold back in uncertainty or unwillingness
3. Be unsure or weak
4. Move hesitatingly, as if about to give way
5. Move back and forth very rapidly
6. Give off unsteady sounds, alternating in amplitude or frequency