ETYM AS. cild, pl. cildru; cf. Goth. kilthei womb, in-kilthô with child.
(Irregular plural: children).
1. A human offspring (son or daughter) of any age; SYN. kid.
2. A member of a clan or tribe.
3. A young person of either sex (between birth and puberty); SYN. kid, youngster, minor, shaver, nipper, small fry, tiddler, tike, tyke, fry, nestling.
4. An immature childish person; SYN. baby.
ETYM Latin infans; pref. in- not + fari to speak: cf. French enfant, whence Old Eng. enfaunt. Related to Fame, Infante, Infanta.
A child below full legal age; see minor.
1. A child in the first period of life, beginning at his birth; a baby.
2. Same as.
1. Soft smooth leather from the hide of a young goat; SYN. kidskin.
2. Young goat.
A young child.