1. Tordre. Tortiller son mouchoir.
2. Onduler. Tortiller des hanches.
3. (Intrans.) (Familier) Tergiverser. Il n'y a pas ŕ tortiller.
ETYM Latin contortus, p. p. of contorquere to twist; con- + torquere to twist. Related to Torture.
To twist and press out of shape; SYN. deform, distort, wring.
1. To devise a system or form a scheme for.
2. To form intrigues (for) in an underhand manner; SYN. intrigue, connive.
To grow upward.
1. To turn in the opposite direction
2. To form into a spiral shape; SYN. distort.
3. To form into twists
4. To turn suddenly so as to sprain; SYN. sprain, wrench, turn, wrick, rick.
5. To change the meaning of; SYN. twist around, pervert, convolute, sophisticate.
6. To do the dance called the twist.