(Homonym: idle, idol).
1. Not in active use; SYN. unused.
2. Not in action or at work.
3. Not having a job; SYN. jobless, out of work.
4. Lacking a sense of restraint or responsibility; SYN. loose.
5. Silly or trivial; SYN. light.
ETYM Pref. in- not + active: cf. French inactif.
1. Not active or exerting influence.
2. Not active physically or mentally.
3. Not engaged in full-time work; (military).
4. Not engaged in military action; SYN. reserve.
5. Lacking activity; lying idle or unused.
6. (Pathology) Not progressing or increasing; or progressing slowly.
7. Not participating in a chemical reaction.
ETYM Latin otiosus, from otium ease.
1. Producing no useful result; futile.
2. Being at leisure; idle.
3. Lacking use or effect; functionless.
4. Serving no useful purpose; having no excuse for being; SYN. pointless, superfluous, wasted.
5. Superfluous; redundant; futile; useless; functionless; idle.