Ostentatiously lofty in style; SYN. declamatory, large, orotund, tumid, turgid.
ETYM Latin grandis grand + logui to speak.
1. Lofty in style; SYN. magniloquent, tall.
2. Puffed up with vanity; SYN. overblown, pompous, pontifical, portentous.
3. Bombastic; using high-sounding language.
ETYM French pompeux, Latin pomposus. Related to Pomp.
1. Ostentatious; pretentious; boastful; vainlorious.
2. (Obsolete) Displaying pomp; stately; showy with grandeur; magnificent.
ETYM Cf. French prétentieux. Related to Pretend.
Making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction.