ETYM French compagnie, from Old Fren. compaing. Related to Companion.
1. A social gathering of guests or companions.
2. The state of being with someone; SYN. comradeship, companionship, good fellowship, fellowship, society.
3. An institution created to conduct business.
4. Organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical); SYN. troupe.
5. Small military unit; usually two or three platoons.
6. A unit of firefighters including their equipment.
ETYM Cf. Old Fren. establissement, French établissement.
1. A public or private structure (business or governmental or educational) including buildings and equipment for business or residence.
2. Any large organization.
3. Mainstream culture, especially the forces that direct and govern it.
4. The cognitive process of establishing a valid proof; SYN. validation.
5. (Ecology) The process by which a plant or animal becomes established in a new habitat; SYN. ecesis.
Sinonimi: house | business firm
ETYM Italian firma the (firm, sure, or confirming) signature or subscription, or Portu. firma signature, firm, cf. Spanish firma signature; all from Latin firmus, adj, firm. Related to Firm.
Members of a business organization; SYN. house, business firm.