2. Éprouver. Essayer un instrument.
3. Tenter. Essayer d'entrer.
4. Passer. Essayer un vętement.
5. (Pron.) S'exercer. S'essayer ŕ peindre.
1. To try; to make an attempt at; to assay.
2. To try to move by temptations; to tempt.
3. (Archaic) To try to win, subdue, or overcome.
In law, a partial or unsuccessful commission of a crime. An attempt must be more than preparation for a crime; it must involve actual efforts to commit a crime.
(Alternate spelling: endeavour).
To attempt by employing effort; SYN. endeavour, strive.
Alternate (chiefly British) spelling for endeavor.
1. To make an effort or attempt; SYN. seek, attempt, essay, assay.
2. To test the limits of; SYN. strain, stress.
3. To give pain or trouble to
4. To melt (fat, lard, etc.) in order to separate out impurities; SYN. render.
To put on a garment in order to see whether it fits and looks nice; SYN. try.