1. Demande. Appel au secours.
3. Attirance. L'appel du large.
4. (Droit) Pourvoi. Faire appel d'un jugement.
In law, an application for a rehearing of all or part of an issue that has already been dealt with by a lower court or tribunal.
The outcome can be a new decision on all or part of the points raised, or the previous decision may be upheld. In criminal cases, an appeal may be against conviction and either the prosecution or the defense may appeal against sentence.
(Homonym: caul, col).
1. Brief visit in an official or professional capacity.
2. A brief social visit.
3. A demand especially in the phrase; SYN. claim.
4. A demand for a show of hands in a card game.
5. A request.
6. A telephone connection; SYN. phone call, telephone call.
ETYM French cri, from crier to cry. Related to Cry.
1. The characteristic utterance of an animal.
2. A loud utterance; often in protest or opposition; SYN. outcry, call, yell, shout, vociferation.
3. A loud utterance of emotion (especially when inarticulate); SYN. yell.
4. A fit of weeping.
Calling out an official list of names.