ETYM Latin terminals: cf. French terminal. Related to Term.
1. Causing or ending in or approaching death.
2. Of or relating to or situated at the ends of a delivery route.
3. Relating to or occurring in a term or fixed period of time.
In computing, a device consisting of a keyboard and display screen (VDT)—or, in older systems, a teleprinter—to enable the operator to communicate with the computer. The terminal may be physically attached to the computer or linked to it by a telephone line (remote terminal). A “dumb” terminal has no processor of its own, whereas an “intelligent” terminal has its own processor and takes some of the processing load away from the main computer.
1. A point on an electrical device (such as a battery) at which electric current enters or leaves; SYN. pole.
2. An input-output device providing access to a computer; has a keyboard and display.
3. Where transport vehicles load or unload passengers or goods; SYN. terminus, depot.
1. In networking, a device consisting of a video adapter, a monitor, and a keyboard. The adapter and monitor and, sometimes, the keyboard are typically combined in a single unit. A terminal does little or no computer processing on its own; instead, it is connected to a computer with a communications link over a cable. Terminals are used primarily in multiuser systems and today are not often found on single-user personal computers. See also dumb terminal, smart terminal, terminal emulation.
2. In electronics, a point that can be physically linked to something else, usually by a wire, to form an electrical connection.
An input/output device used to enter data into a computer and record the output.
Monitor priključen na centralni računar. Terminali mogu da budu pametni ili glupi, ako terminal ima sopstveni "mozak", to je pametan računar, što znači da ima ugrađenu neku vrstu procesora, možda čak i CPU, možda čak i jedinice diskova, tako da može da skladišti podatke. Sa ovakvim sposobnostima, terminal ne mora da se oslanja na centralni računar pri radu. Ako terminal ima samo monitor i tastaturu (ili slične periferne uređaje), on je prilično ograničen.