The measure of how often a periodic event occurs, such as a signal going through a complete cycle. Frequency is usually measured in hertz (Hz), with 1 Hz equaling 1 occurrence (cycle) per second. In the United States, household electricity is alternating current with a frequency of 60 Hz. Frequency is also measured in kilohertz (kHz, or 1000 Hz), megahertz (MHz, or 1000 kHz), gigahertz (GHz, or 1000 MHz), or terahertz (THz, or 1000 GHz). See the illustration. Compare wavelength. In physics, the number of periodic oscillations, vibrations, or waves occurring per unit of time. The unit of frequency is the hertz (Hz), one hertz being equivalent to one cycle per second.
Human beings can hear sounds from objects vibrating in the range 20–15,000 Hz. Ultrasonic frequencies well above 15,000 Hz can be detected by mammals such as bats. Infrasound (low frequency sound) can be detected by some animals and birds. Pigeons can detect sounds as low as 0.1 Hz; elephants communicate using sounds as low as 1 Hz.
ETYM Latin frequentia numerous attendance, multitude: cf. French fréquence. Related to Frequent.
In statistics, the number of times an event occurs. For example, when two dice are thrown repeatedly and the two scores added together, each of the numbers 2 to 12 may have a frequency of occurrence. The set of data including the frequencies is called a frequency distribution, usually presented in a frequency table or shown diagramatically, by a frequency polygon.
1. The number of observations in a given statistical category; SYN. absolute frequency.
2. The number of occurrences within a given time period (usually 1 second); SYN. frequence, oftenness.
3. The ratio of the number of observations in a statistical category to the total number of observations; SYN. relative frequency.
The number of cycles over a specified time period over which an event occurs. The reciprocal is called the period.
Frekvencija, ritam po kome neko električno čudo radi. Obično je to broj promena signala u jedinici vremena.
1. Češće ponavljanje, učestanost, učestalost;
2. Obilna posećenost, navala; broj posetilaca;
3. fiz. Broj treptaja u sekundi; broj perioda naizmenične struje u sekundi; čestina.