ETYM Latin erectus, p. p. of erigere to erect; e out + regere to lead straight. Related to Right, Alert.
1. Upright in position or posture; SYN. vertical, upright.
2. (Physiology) Of sexual organs; stiff and rigid; SYN. tumid.
1. To raise and place in an upright or perpendicular position; to set upright; to raise.
2. To raise, as a building; to build; to construct.
3. To set up or assemble.
4. (Argumentation) To set up as an assertion or consequence from premises, or the like.
6. To set up or establish; to found; to form; to institute.