Sinonimi: community of interests
ETYM Latin communitas: cf. Old Fren. communité. Related to Commonalty, and see Common.
1. A group of nations having common interests.
2. A group of people having ethnic or cultural or religious characteristics in common.
3. A group of people living in a particular local area.
4. Agreement as to goals; SYN. community of interests.
5. Common ownership.
6. In the social sciences, the sense of identity, purpose, and companionship that comes from belonging to a particular place, organization, or social group. The concept dominated sociological thinking in the first half of the 20th century, and inspired the academic discipline of community studies.