Good at incubating eggs especially a fowl kept for that purpose; SYN. brooding, hatching.
ETYM Old Eng. brod, as. brôd; akin to Dutch broed, Old High Germ. bruot, German brut, and also to German brühe broth, Mid. High Germ. brüeje, and perh. to Eng. brawn, breath. Related to Breed.
The young of an animal cared for at one time.
1. The young of an animal or a family of young; especially; the young (as of a bird or insect) hatched or cared for at one time.
2. A group having a common nature or origin.
3. The children of a family.
1. To hang over, as of something threatening, dark, or menacing; SYN. hover, loom, bulk large.
2. To sit on (eggs); SYN. hatch, cover, incubate.
3. To think moodily or anxiously about something; SYN. worry, dwell.