ETYM Old Eng. arest, arrest, Old Fren. arest, French arręt, from arester. Related to Arrest.
Deprivation of personal liberty by legal authority to stop commission of a crime or to charge someone with violation of a criminal or civil law.
Federal laws, state laws, and local ordinances define circumstances under which individuals may be detained by law officers acting independently, court-issued warrants, or other individuals (citizen's arrest).
1. The act of stopping (usually stopping motion); SYN. check, stay.
2. The state of inactivity following an interruption; SYN. check, halt, hitch, stay, stop, stoppage.
Zatvor, haps. (tur.)
Tamnica, uze, haps, robija.
1. To stop; to check or hinder the motion or action of
2. To take, seize, or apprehend by authority of law
3. To seize on and fix; to hold; to catch
4. To rest or fasten; to fix; to concentrate.
Lišavati slobode, stavljati u zatvor; isto i hapsiti (tur.)