1. Borough in Pennsylvania (USA).
2. City in Indiana (USA); zip code 46001.
3. City in Kentucky (USA); zip code 41001.
4. City in Louisiana (USA).
5. City in Minnesota (USA); zip code 56308.
6. City in Missouri (USA); zip code 63430.
7. City in South Dakota (USA).
8. City in Virginia (USA).
9. The chief port of Egypt; located where the Nile River empties into the Mediterranean Sea; founded by Alexander the Great; the capital of ancient Egypt; Also called: El Iskandariyah.
10. Town in Tennessee (USA); zip code 37012.
11. Village in Nebraska (USA); zip code 68303.
12. Village in Ohio (USA); zip code 43001.
(US) City in central Louisiana, US, on the Red River, NW of Baton Rouge; seat of Rapides parish; It is a livestock and meatpacking center.(Egypt) or El Iskandariya; City, chief port, and second-largest city of Egypt, situated between the Mediterranean and Lake Maryut; It is linked by canal with the Nile and is an industrial city (oil refining, gas processing, and cotton and grain trading). Founded 331 BC by Alexander the Great, Alexandria was the capital of Egypt for over 1,000 years.
The principal center of Hellenistic culture, Alexandria has since the 4th century AD been the seat of a Christian patriarch. In 641 it was captured by the Muslim Arabs, and after the opening of the Cape route its trade rapidly declined. Early in the 19th century it began to recover its prosperity, and its growth was encouraged by its use as the main British naval base in the Mediterranean during both world wars. Of the large European community, most were expelled after the Suez Crisis 1956 and their property confiscated.
Few relics of antiquity remain. The Pharos, the first lighthouse and one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, has long since disappeared. The library, said to have contained 700,000 volumes, was destroyed by the caliph Umar 640. Pompey's Pillar is a column erected, as a landmark visible from the sea, by the emperor Diocletian. Two obelisks that once stood before the Caesarum temple are now in London (Cleopatra's Needle) and New York respectively.
Grad n Mediteranu, najveća luka u Egiptu.