1. The act of running; traveling on foot at a fast pace; SYN. running.
2. A regular trip
3. A short trip
4. A row of unravelled stitches; SYN. ladder, ravel.
5. A score in baseball made by a runner touching all four bases safely; or; SYN. tally.
6. A football play in which a player runs with the ball; SYN. running, running play, running game.
(Waffenkunde) Rohr von Handfeuerwaffen u. Maschinengewehren, in dem das Geschoß seine Anfangsgeschwindigkeit, seinen Drall u. seine Richtung erhält.
(Musik) Läufer, Passage, schnelle Folge von Tönen, in Form einer Tonleiter oder eines gebrochenen Akkords.
(Zoologie) Bein u. Fuß bei Haarwild u. beim Hund; zu einem Teil des Beins umgewandelter Fußknochen der Vögel.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: ran, run).
1. To move fast by using one's feet, with one foot off the ground at any given time.
2. To cover a distance by running; run a certain distance.
3. To change from one state to another.
4. To execute a program or process, as on a computer or a machine.
5. To extend or continue for a certain period of time; SYN. run for.
6. To have a particular form;,; SYN. go.
7. To keep company; of male animals; SYN. consort.
8. To make without a miss; in sports or games.
9. To move about freely and without restraint, or act as if running around in an uncontrolled way.
10. To move along, of liquids; SYN. flow, course.
11. To occur persistently.
12. To sail before the wind.
13. To stretch out over a distance, space, time, or scope; run or extend between two points or beyond a certain point; SYN. go, pass, lead, extend.
14. To be in the running; compete for a certain position.
15. To be running or functioning, as of engines or machines.
16. To become undone, as of clothes such as knitted fabrics; SYN. unravel.
17. To carry out.
18. To cause an animal to move fast.
19. To cause something to pass or lead somewhere; SYN. lead.
20. To be diffused; said of dyes and colors; SYN. bleed.
21. To cause to perform.
22. To deal in illegally, such as arms or liquor; SYN. black market.
23. To be affected by; be subjected to; as in.