ETYM Latin dependens, -entis, p. pr. dependere. Related to Depend, Dependant.
1. Contingent on something else; SYN. dependant, qualified.
2. Not independent.
3. (Grammar) Of a clause; unable to stand alone syntactically as a complete sentence; SYN. subordinate.
4. Addicted to a drug; SYN. dependant, drug-addicted, hooked, strung-out.
1. One who depends on another; one who is sustained by another, or who relies on another for support of favor.
2. (Finances) A person who is financially dependent upon another, esp. a child or an aged parent.
3. That which depends; corollary; consequence.