ETYM Old Eng. chere face, welcome, cheer, Old Fren. chiere, French chčre, from Late Lat. cara face, Greek kara head; akin to Skr. çiras, Latin cerebrum brain, German hirn, and Eng. cranium.
A cry or shout of approval.
1. To become cheerful; SYN. cheer up, chirk up.
2. To give encouragement to; SYN. hearten, recreate, embolden.
3. To make cheerful; SYN. cheer up, jolly along, jolly up.
4. To show approval or good wishes by shouting.
5. To urge on or encourage esp. by shouts; SYN. inspire, urge, barrack, urge on, exhort, pep up.