A transfer of information to a storage device, such as a disk, or to an output device, such as a monitor or a printer. For example, a disk write means that information is transferred from memory to storage on disk. See also output1. Compare read1.
(Homonym: right, rite, wright).
(Irregular preterit, past participle: wrote, written).
1. To communicate (with) in writing; SYN. drop a line.
2. To communicate by letter.
3. To communicate or express by writing.
4. To mark or trace on a surface.
5. To produce a literary work; SYN. compose, pen, indite.
6. To record data on a computer.
To transfer information either to a storage device, such as a disk, or to an output device, such as a monitor or a printer. Writing is the means by which a computer provides the results of processing. A computer can also be said to write to the screen when it displays information on the monitor. See also output1. Compare read.