ETYM AS. weall, from Latin vallum a wall, vallus a stake, pale, palisade.
1. An architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness; used to divide or enclose an area or to support another structure.
2. A masonry fence (as around an estate or garden).
3. Anything that suggests a wall in structure or effect.
4. (Anatomy) A layer (a lining or membrane) that encloses a structure; SYN. paries.
5. A difficult or awkward situation.
1. Borough in Pennsylvania (USA); zip code 15148.
2. Town in South Dakota (USA); zip code 57790.
To surround with a wall in order to fortify; SYN. palisade, fence, fence in, surround.