1 British; tenderloin
2. The action or result of cutting away from the underside or lower part of something
3. A notch cut in the base of a tree before felling to determine the direction of falling and to prevent splitting
1. To cut away material from the underside of (an object) so as to leave an overhanging portion in relief.
2. To cut away the underpart of
3. To cut obliquely into (a tree) below the main cut and on the side toward which the tree will fall.
4. To strike (the ball) in golf, tennis, or hockey obliquely downward so as to give a backspin or elevation to the shot.