ETYM as. teár; akin to German zärhe, Old High Germ. zahar, OFries. and Icel. târ, Swed. tar, Dan. taare, Goth. tagr, OIr. dęr, w. dagr, Ow. dacr, Latin lacrima, lacruma, for older dacruma, Greek dakry, dakryon, dakryma. Related to Lachrymose.
(Homonym: tare) (Homonym: tier).
1. A drop of the clear salty saline solution secreted by the lacrimal glands; SYN. teardrop.
2. The act of tearing.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: tore, torn).
1. To separate or cause to separate abruptly; SYN. rupture, snap, bust.
2. To separate or be separated by force.
3. To move quickly and violently; SYN. shoot, shoot down, charge, buck.
4. (To weep) To fill with tears or shed tears.