1. Continuing or remaining in a place; SYN. visit, sojourn, rest, trip.
2. A thin strip of metal or bone that is used to stiffen a garment (e.g. a corset).
3. A judicial order forbidding some action until an event occurs or the order is lifted
(Nautical) A heavy rope or wire cable used as a support for a mast or spar.
A large strong rope usually of wire used to support a mast
ETYM Related to Stay to hold up, prop.
1. To continue in a place, position, or situation; SYN. stay on, continue a remain.
2. To remain behind.
3. To stay the same; remain in a certain state; SYN. remain, rest.
4. To stay put (in a certain place); SYN. stick, stick around, stay put.
5. To stop or halt; SYN. detain, delay.
6. To stop a judicial process.
7. To fasten with stays.