ETYM Old Eng. som, sum, as. sum; akin to os., OFries., and Old High Germ. sum, od. som, Dutch sommig, Icel. sumr, Dan. somme (pl.), Swed. somlige (pl.), Goth. sums, and Eng. same.
1. Quantifier; used with either mass nouns or plural count nouns to indicate an unspecified number or quantity.
2. Relatively many but unspecified in number.
3. Relatively much but unspecified in amount or extent.
4. Unknown or unspecified.
5. (Informal; slang) Remarkable.
2. In some degree; somewhat; to some degree or extent; a little — used as a mild intensive
1. One indeterminate quantity, portion, or number as distinguished from the rest
2. An indefinite additional amount