ETYM Cf. Icel skipti. Related to Shift.
1. A group of workers who work for a specific period of time.
2. An event in which something is displaced without rotation; SYN. displacement.
3. The act of moving from one place to another; SYN. shifting.
4. The time period during which one is at work; SYN. work shift, duty period.
brea · chemise · displacement · duty period · fault · faulting · fracture · geological fault · sack · shift key · shifting · shimmy · slip · switch · switching · teddy · transformation · transmutation · work shift
1. To move from one setting or context to another
2. To change place or direction; SYN. dislodge, reposition.
3. To change in quality
In programming, to move the bit values one position to the left or right in a register or memory location. See also end-around shift. Compare rotate (definition 2).