1. Except for the fact that; only — used with that
2. But, except — used before a word often taken to be the subject of a clause
1. A play that prevents an opponent from scoring or winning
2. The action of a relief pitcher in baseball in successfully protecting a team's lead; also; official credit for a save
3. The act of preventing the opposition from scoring (in sports):
Other than; but, except
To write data (typically a file) to a storage medium, such as a disk or tape.
1. To avoid the spending or waste of
2. To bring into safety; SYN. carry through, pull through, bring through.
3. To feather one's nest; have a nest egg; SYN. lay aside, save up.
4. To make unnecessary an expenditure or effort; SYN. make unnecessary.
5. To spend less; buy at a reduced price.
6. To keep up and reserve for personal or special use:; SYN. preserve, conserve.