1. A sustained posture; especially; one assumed for artistic effect
2. An attitude, role, or characteristic assumed for effect
3. A position, especially the position one adopts for a portrait or a photograph.
ETYM Shortened from appose, for oppose. Related to Appose, Oppose.
1. To behave affectedly in order to impress others.
2. To pretend to be someone one is not; with fraudulent intentions; SYN. impersonate, personate.
3. To assume a posture or attitude usually for artistic purposes.
4. To affect an attitude or character usually to deceive or impress.