ETYM Old Eng. pece, French pičce, Late Lat. pecia, petia, petium, probably of Celtic origin; cf. w. peth a thing, a part, portion, a little, Armor. pez, Gael. and Irish cuid part, share. Related to Petty.
1. A separate part of a whole.
2. A serving that has been cut from a larger portion; SYN. slice.
3. An instance of some kind; SYN. bit.
4. An item that is an instance of some type; or.
5. An artistic or literary composition.
6. A distance.
7. An object created by a sculptor.
1. To join during spinning, as of broken pieces of thread, slivers, or rovings.
2. To repair by adding pieces; SYN. patch.