ETYM Latin moderatus, p. p. of moderate, moderati, to moderate, regulate, control, from modus measure. Related to Mode.
1. Being within reasonable or average limits; not excessive or extreme; SYN. modest, not excessive, limited.
2. Marked by avoidance of extravagance or extremes; SYN. restrained.
3. Not extreme; SYN. temperate.
One who holds moderate views or who belongs to a group favoring a moderate course or program
centrist · middle of the roader · moderationist
1. To make less fast or intense
2. To preside over; SYN. chair, lead.