ETYM Latin linearis, linearius, from linea line: cf. French linéaire. Related to Line.
1. Of or in or along or relating to a line; involving a single dimension; SYN. one-dimensional.
2. Measured lengthwise; SYN. running.
3. Of a leaf shape; long and narrow; SYN. elongate.
4. (Mathematics) Directly proportional; SYN. additive.
1. Having the characteristics of a line.
2. Proceeding sequentially. For example, a linear search is one that moves from A to B to C.
3. In mathematics and electronics, having a direct and proportional relationship among characteristics or variables. For example, the output of a linear amplifier is directly proportional to the input. See also linear programming.