ETYM Late Lat. legitimatus, p. p. of legitimare to legitimate, from Latin legitimus legitimate. Related to Legal.
1. In accordance with reason or logic; SYN. logical.
2. In accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles.
3. Of marriages and offspring; recognized as lawful.
1. To make legitimate
2. To give legal status or authorization to
3. To show or affirm to be justified
4. To lend authority or respectability to; to put (a bastard) in the state of a legitimate child before the law by legal means