ETYM Cf. Old Fren. lais. Related to Lease.
1. A contract granting use or occupation of property during a specified time for a specified payment.
2. Property that is leased or rented out or let; SYN. rental, letting.
3. The period of time during which a contract conveying property to a person is in effect; SYN. term of a contract.
ETYM as. lesan to gather; akin to Dutch lezen to gather, read, German lesen, Goth. lisan to gather; cf. Lith lesti to peck.
1. To engage in a commercial transaction; SYN. rent, hire, charter, engage, take.
2. To grant use or occupation of under a term of contract; SYN. let, rent.