Or dungeon or donjon; The main tower of a castle, containing enough accommodation to serve as living quarters under siege conditions.The main tower within the walls of a medieval castle or fortress; SYN. dungeon, donjon.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: kept).
1. To retain possession of; SYN. hold on.
2. To keep in a certain state, position, or activity; e.g.,; SYN. maintain, hold.
3. To look after; be the keeper of; have charge of.
4. To maintain by writing regular records; SYN. maintain.
5. To maintain in safety form injury, harm, or danger; SYN. preserve.
6. To maintain or support.
7. To fail to spoil or rot; SYN. stay fresh.