1. To give an interpretation or explanation to.
2. To give an interpretation or rendition of; SYN. render.
3. To make sense of; assign a meaning to; SYN. construe.
1. To translate a statement or instruction into executable form and then execute it.
2. To execute a program by translating one statement at a time into executable form and executing it before translating the next statement, rather than by translating the program completely into executable code (compiling it) before executing it separately. See also interpreter. Compare compile.