1. The person who plays the position of guard on a basketball team.
2. A position on the line of scrimmage, in football
3. The person who plays that position on a football team
4. A posture of defence in boxing or fencing
ETYM Old Fren. guarde, French garde; of German origin; cf. Old High Germ. wart, marto, one who watches, mata a watching, Goth. wardja watchman. Related to Guard.
1. A person who keeps watch over something or someone.
2. A group of men who escort and protect some important person; SYN. bodyguard.
3. A device or principle designed to prevent injury or other harm; SYN. safety.
4. A position on a basketball team.
1. To take precautions in order to avoid some unwanted consequence
2. To keep watch over:
3. To watch over or shield from danger or harm; protect; SYN. ward.