Functioning correctly and ready for action
1. A time for working (after which one will be relieved by someone else); SYN. spell, tour, turn.
2. (Japanese) A board game for two players who place counters on a grid; the object is to surround and so capture the opponent's counters; SYN. go game.
Board game originating in China 3,000 years ago, and now the national game of Japan. It is played by placing small counters on a large grid. The object is to win territory and eventual superiority.
The board, squared off by 19 horizontal and 19 vertical lines, begins empty and gradually fills up with black and white counters (originally flattish, rounded stones) as the players win territory by surrounding areas of the board with “men” and capturing the enemy armies by surrounding them. A handicapping system enables expert and novice to play against each other.
It is far more complex and subtle than chess, the mathematical possibilities being 1 x 10 720.
(Irregular preterit, past participle: went, gone).
1. To move away from a place into another direction; SYN. go away, depart.
2. To be spent.
3. To follow a procedure or take a course; SYN. proceed, move.
4. To lead. extend, or afford access; SYN. lead.
5. To pass, fare, or elapse; of a certain state of affairs or action.
6. To be abolished or discarded.
7. To be awarded; be allotted.
8. To be contained in.
9. To be or continue to be in a certain condition.
10. To be ranked or compare.
11. To be sounded, played, or expressed.