1. To formally hand over to the bridegroom in marriage; of a bride by her father.
2. To give out freely; SYN. distribute, give out, hand out.
1. When you give something away, you give it to someone without asking for anything in return because you do not want it or because you want to help the person you are giving it to.
2. When you give a secret away, you accidentally reveal that secret.
3. When you give yourself away, you accidentally reveal something secret about yourself. When something gives you away, it accidentally reveals something secret about you.