ETYM French général, from Latin generalis. Related to Genus.
1. Prevailing among and common to the general public.
2. Somewhat indefinite.
3. Not specialized or limited to one class of things.
4. Applying to all or most members of a category or group.
5. Of national scope.
6. (Medicine) Affecting the entire body.
ETYM French général. Related to General.
1. A fact about the whole (as opposed to particular).
2. A general officer of the highest rank; SYN. full general.
Senior military rank, the ascending grades being major general, lieutenant general, and general. The us rank of general of the army is equivalent to the British field marshal.
To command as a general