1. That which is extracted or drawn out.
2. A portion of a book or document, separately transcribed; a citation; a quotation.
3. A solution, or infusion made by drawing out from any substance that which gives it its essential and characteristic virtue; essence.
4. A solid preparation obtained by evaporating a solution of a solution, etc., or the fresh juice of a plant.
5. Extraction; descent.
6. (Law) A draft or copy of writing; certified copy of the proceedings in an action and the judgment therein, with an order for execution.
1. To draw or pull out, usually with some force or effort; also used in an abstract sense; SYN. pull out, take out, draw out.
2. To get despite difficulties or obstacles.
3. To separate (a metal) from an ore.
4. To calculate the root of a number.
1. To remove or duplicate items from a larger group in a systematic manner.
2. In programming, to derive one set of characters from another by using a mask (pattern) that determines which characters to remove.