ETYM Old Fren. devise division, deliberation, wish, will, testament. Related to Device.
1. A will disposing of real property.
2. (Law) A gift of real estate by will.
1. To imagine; to form in the mind by new combinations of ideas or designs; to formulate by thought; to invent.
2. To plan or scheme for; to purpose to obtain.
3. To imagine; to guess.
4. (Law) To give by will (said of real estate); SYN. bequeath, invent, discover, contrive, imagine, plan, scheme.
5. (Law) Bequeath (real estate) by will.