ETYM Old Eng. devis, devise, will, intention, opinion, invention, from French devis architect's plan and estimates (in Old Fren., division, plan, wish), devise device, in Old Fren. also, division, wish, last will, from deviser. Related to Devise, Devise.
1. An instrumental invented for a particular purpose.
2. Any clever (deceptive) maneuver; SYN. gimmick, twist.
3. Something in an artistic work designed to achieve a particular effect.
4. Any ornamental pattern or design (as in embroidery).
5. An emblematic design (especially in heraldry).
A generic term for a computer subsystem. Printers, serial ports, and disk drives are often referred to as devices; such subsystems frequently require their own controlling software, called device drivers. See also device driver.