ETYM Cf. dessein, dessin.
1. A decorative or artistic work; SYN. pattern, figure.
2. A preliminary sketch indicating the plan for something.
3. An arrangement scheme; SYN. plan.
4. The act of working out the form of something (as by making a sketch or outline or plan); SYN. designing.
1. To conceive or fashion in the mind; invent.
2. To create designs.
3. To create the design for; create or execute in an artistic or highly skilled manner.
4. To design something for a specific role or purpose or effect.
5. To intend or have as a purpose.
6. To make a design of; plan out in systematic, often graphic form; SYN. plan.
The conceptual and practical working out of the appearance of an artifact or a building, with special reference to its effective functioning and its esthetic quality.
The term derives from the Italian word disegno, which in Renaissance art theory meant the essential idea of a work of art and the expression of that idea through drawing.