ETYM Latin corona crown. Related to Crown.
Colored ring, due to diffraction, seen round sun or moon; luminous envelope surrounding sun; Phonetics, tip of tongue.
1. One or more circles of light seen around a luminous object.
2. A long cigar with blunt ends.
3. (Anatomy) Any structure that resembles a crown in shape.
Faint halo of hot (about 2,000,000şC/3,600,000şF) and tenuous gas around the Sun, which boils from the surface. It is visible at solar eclipses or through a coronagraph, an instrument that blocks light from the Sun’s brilliant disc. Gas flows away from the corona to form the solar wind.
1. City in California (USA).
2. Town in South Dakota (USA); zip code 57227.
3. Village in New Mexico (USA); zip code 88318.