ETYM Of Celtic origin; cf. Gael. goil fume, rage.
1. A round shape formed by a series of concentric circles; SYN. whorl, roll, curl, curlicue, ringlet, gyre, scroll.
2. Something wound in a continuous series of loops; SYN. spiral, volute, whorl, helix.
3. Tubing that is wound in a spiral.
4. A transformer that supplies high voltage to spark plugs in a gasoline engine.
5. A spiral of insulated wire that introduces inductance into a circuit.
6. A contraceptive device placed inside a woman's womb.
In medicine, another name for an intrauterine device. IUD
To wind around something in coils or loops; SYN. loop, curl.