Designed, planned, or used for carrying out a military attack
ETYM Cf. French attaque.
1. An assault on someone; SYN. attempt.
2. An offensive move in a sport or game.
3. The beginning of an offensive; SYN. onslaught, onset, onrush.
4. Turning one's attention to a problem or a job etc.; SYN. assault.
5. A sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition.
6. A decisive manner of beginning a musical tone or phrase; SYN. tone-beginning.
1. To launch an attack or assault on; begin hostilities with, as in warfare; SYN. assail.
2. To begin to injure.
3. To attack verbally, in speech or writing; SYN. round, assail, lash out, snipe, assault.
4. To take the initiative and go on the offensive; SYN. aggress.
5. To set to work upon; turn one's energies vigorously to a task.